Saturday mornings call for something delightfully sweet to accompany a cup of hot, strong coffee. This Banana Bread, perfectly studded with bits of dark semi sweet chocolate and toasted pecans is a wonderful companion to your morning caffeine!
We go through at least a dozen bananas a week in my house – and that’s not even when I’m planning to make bread! Occasionally we’ll have more in the cupboard then we can use, so those get peeled and added to my big bag o’ frozen bananas in the freezer. It only takes about three to make this bread so I always have enough in there when the craving hits. Also – bonus! – no waiting around for days for overly ripened bananas – keeping a stash in the freezer means they’re there for you whenever – they defrost in the microwave in about 2 minutes. I recommend using previously frozen bananas in this recipe because they produce more moisture, mash up easier, and blend in with the other ingredients more seamlessly.
Everyone needs a go-to banana bread recipe in their repertoire – this one is no-fail and bakes up with a gorgeous crackly crust and perfect texture every time. It rises up high as the sky in the oven and takes a full hour to bake in all that juicy banana flavour. I use pecans instead of walnuts for their slightly sweeter, less bitter taste, but you can switch them up if your heart desires. Also, you can leave out the chocolate if that’s not your style (I’m questioning our friendship right now) and keep the ingredient ratios the same.
I was inspired by the banana bread recipe in “The New Best Recipe from the Editors of Cook’s Illustrated”. If you can find it (not sure it’s available in Canada) you should snag a copy of this cookbook. It’s taught me so much about the science of cooking and the ‘why’ behind each and every ingredient. It’s a fascinating read and I highly recommend it.
Chocolate Pecan Studded Banana Bread
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3 Oz Semi Sweet Chocolate, coarsely chopped or grated (a heaping 1/2 Cup)
- 3 Previously Frozen Very Ripe Bananas, defrosted and mashed (about 1 1/2 Cups)
- 1/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Eggs
- 6 Tbsp Butter, melted and cooled
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350. Lightly spray a 9x5 loaf pan with non stick spray.
- Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, chocolate and pecans together in a large bowl; set aside.
- Mix the mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, and vanilla with a wooden spoon in a medium bowl. Lightly fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients with a spatula until no streaks of flour remain, but the batter is still chunky. Scrape the batter into the loaf pan (it will be full) and smooth the top.
- Bake until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 60-75 minutes. If the loaf is getting too dark before it's fully cooked, cover with tinfoil.
- Remove and let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
I used previously frozen bananas which were defrosted in the microwave- they produce more moisture and are easier to mash and incorporated into the dry ingredients.0.1https://sweetandsavary.com/chocolate-pecan-studded-banana-bread/